Tuesday, February 2, 2010

No Cheese on Pasta that Has Fish/Seafood on It?

Is it an Italian thing? My grandparents and parents would always say not to add grated cheese on pasta that has fish or seafood. It ruins the flavor, they say. I don’t know, for me it adds flavor. When my parents had the restaurant, every Thursday, when dad would get the fish delivery, he would make calamari marinara for dinner. Until this day, my sister and I cannot stomach the sight of calamari, unless it is fried. Seeing a plate of calamari marinara, takes me back to sitting at table one at the restaurant on a Thursday. I think that is where the adding cheese thing to pasta became a way for us to force ourselves to eat the calamari. We laugh about it until this day. And I still continue to add that cheese on clam sauce or the tuna pasta dish I throw together, with apologies to Italians everywhere. For that tuna dish...saute garlic and onions in good olive oil, add sherry wine and spices when the garlic and onions are browned, add tuna and cook for about 5 minutes, add tomato sauce and olives and let bubble. Serve over pasta of your choice. Add cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment